(a) Annual dressing an orphan for school
This project is for orphans and vulnerable children in the immediate community where they are clothed by the orphanage, gifts such as school uniform, notebooks, pencil, school bags and school sandals are presented to them for the new school session. The event is held every third Saturday in the month of November every year.
Millions of Orphans & Vulnerable children in Africa have no access to even basic primary education.
(b) Kids Club
The kids club is monthly event where the orphans and vulnerable children in the community are hosted. The programmes in the event include educational tutorials, watching motivational movies as well as feeding them. It is held every last Saturday of every month at the orphanage.
(c) World Malaria Day:
This UN programme is also observed by the orphanage every year. We raise health awareness at the orphanage by teaching them about malaria prevention. We also work with other NGOs to fight malaria in poor communities.
(d) International Children(s) Day
The home organizes and celebrates this special day with fun-filled events for the orphans and other vulnerable children. It is usually a special day for the orphanage and the community. The day is always filled with a lot of activities games and fun for the children.
(e) Day of the African Child
This is a day the orphans and vulnerable children are taught about their culture and way of life in general, they are encouraged to dress in their native attires to promote afro centrism. It is also filled with a lot of games, folklore and funs.
(f) World’s AIDS Day:-
This day is also observed by the orphanage by raising and promoting health awareness through teaching of HIV/ AIDS prevention. Guest speakers and other experts on the subject are invited to give lectures and seminars to the participants.
(g) Prison Ministrations:
The home also exists to provide ex-convicts with authentic learning experience that engages their minds, hearts, and bodies. These programmes are aimed at providing learning experiences, enhance creativity, self – discipline and the skills and confidence necessary to meet the challenges encountered in their lives, at work and in their families, having being disconnected from the society during the period of incarceration neglect or trauma.
The following is an outline of the prison programme Areas:
- Legal Aids
- Monthly visits to prisons led by representatives of the organization and seasonal special events.
(a) To enhance the children’s creativity and productivity through training and skill acquisition, e.g bead making, computer training, e.t.c. Titled. “One Orphan One Skill” project
(b) This is perhaps the most urgent and critical of all the organization’s ongoing projects. The establishment of a branch of the orphanage at Abakaliki in Ebonyi state is the next top priority on the agenda. The acquisition of a large piece of land through donation at the new state has afforded the home and opportunity for expansion. The organization is in dire need of funds for building project.
(d) Widows projects:-
The widows in the orphanage community are not neglected, the home also works towards empowering these women through skill acquisition Title:- “One Widow One Skill”. e.g bead making, soap making, tie and dye e.t.c.
(e) Quarterly workshops and economic empowerment programme for widows youths and ex-convicts.
(f) Quarterly advocacy and awareness programmes for teenage girls on unwanted pregnancy.
- The orphanage is in dire need of expansion to accommodate request for more children coming into our care on a daily basis.
- The Prison ministry is quite capital intensive as the plight of the Nigerian prisoner is quite desperate.
- As child rights and prison welfare advocacy is part of the objective a lot of the organizing, intensive logistics and networking with stakeholders is required to achieve its goals.
A CLARION CALL TO ACTION & YOUR SUPPORT
- With these grim statistics about the plight of orphans in mind it is imperative that something must be done urgently to stem this tide.
- Support the orphanage and save these little saints and leaders of tomorrow.
- A child saved today from the streets is an indirect guarantee for the security of the nation tomorrow.
- Please provide the Orphanage with finance, food, medicine, clothing, ideas and your earnest prayers.